The transponder key protects your vehicle from thieves. But what if you lose it somewhere? How to disable transponder key system without key?
Do not panic! We still remember the day when we got stuck because of this issue. The only thing to do then was to call a locksmith for help. But we won’t let it happen again.
After experimenting, we have found some good ways to deal with the system. Let’s read on to see what we recommend!
How To Disable Transponder Key System Without Key?
There are two ways to disable the transponder key system without a key: use a key fob and interfere with the electrical system.
The transponder key system is a security technology that prevents unauthorized access to your vehicle. If the system is active, you can only start your engine with a programmed key with a transponder chip.
However, if you lose the key, you can’t start the engine. The only solution here is to disable the transponder key system.
How to start my car without chip key? You can address the issue with the following methods:
Use A Key Fob
A key fob is a remote control device that helps you manage a keyless entry system. You can unlock the mechanism by pressing the button.
Key fobs do an excellent job of deactivating the system in simple steps. However, you need to consider its lacking features, compatibility, and power carefully. Here is how to check it:
- Turn the fob upside down to reveal the battery cover. Some devices employ this action to access the battery. But if you have no idea about this part, slide it lock down.
- If there is no battery, insert one and use it. Meanwhile, if the battery is in the fob, check its condition using a multimeter.
- Check for signs of damage or leak in the battery.
If everything seems fine, you can use the key fob to disable your transponder key system. Ensure that the fob works with your anti-theft system first.
Interfere With The Electrical System
The structure of a transponder key system is quite complicated. Moreover, the power lines to the mechanism stay deep inside. It means that you have to disassemble multiple components to reach the system.
As a result, we don’t recommend interfering with the electrical system as this task requires extensive knowledge of the automobile and its internal structure.
If you still want to perform this task, check out the steps below:
- Find the transponder key antenna, which is often next to the ignition lock cylinder.
- Remove the panels or covers to access the antenna.
- Disconnect the wires from the key antenna.
- Test the wires with a multimeter to ensure you have disconnected them properly.
- The wires may touch each other or other metal components. So you can separate their stripped ends using electrical tape.
- Detach the antenna from your car. Pliers and a soldering iron will help.
- Removing the transponder key antenna will disable the transponder key system.
- Test by starting your engine without the transponder key. If it runs, you have successfully deactivated the system.
How Do Transponder Keys Work?
The working process of the transponder key system is complex. Each system uses a particular communication method. But generally, it connects to the engine’s ECM (Engine Control Module) to start the engine. The particular process is as follows:
- The chip on the key transmits an encoded signal of the existing security number sequence when you turn the key in the ignition.
- At this point, the ECU-controlled car broadcast systems start to identify the password and send feedback to execute parallel checks.
- The transponder key may both send and receive waveforms used for authentication. Hence, the chip inside welcomes and decodes the data from the returned car.
- When completing all transmissions, the computer of the car turns off security and allows the engine to start.
- On the other hand, if it detects any difference in the signal, the system remains inactive. You then have to take alternative action.
How Do You Start A Car Without a Transponder Key?
If you don’t have the transponder key, consider how to wire transponder bypass. This theft prevention device requires data from the key with the integrated chip.
There are two ways to do it to hot-wire your car without the key:
- Linking the wires from the starter to the car battery
- Starting your cart with a spare key without chip
However, bypassing the system may compromise the security system of your vehicle. It’s even illegal in some states.
Instead, you can contact a locksmith or ask the dealership to send you a new key. It takes longer, but you won’t sacrifice anything when starting your car without the chip key.
How To Program The Transponder Key Without The Original?
You have got a new key for your transponder system. The dealer or locksmith can help program it for you. If you may want to try it, let us help!
Step 1: Turn On The Ignition
Enter your car and insert the key into the ignition. Then, turn it to the “ON” mode.
The security light is on, then. If it’s not, the car battery may malfunction. You should test its voltage and give it a full charge.
Step 2: Wait For 15 Minutes
The security light is on for about 15 minutes. You can do nothing now except go out for a walk.
Step 3: Turn The Key Off And On
After 15 minutes, the light goes off. You need to pull out the key within three minutes after that.
Next, turn your key to the “OFF” mode and return to the “ON.” Then, the light will be on for another 15 minutes.
Whencoming back after that time, you need to repeat the same steps above: turning the key off and then on.
The whole process takes 45 minutes. Finally, check if you can start your car with the key. At this point, the original key is not useful anymore.
How To Check If My Car Has A Transponder Key?
The transponder key systems are a standard security feature in many cars. So how to tell if you have one?
Checking with the dealership is the simplest way to check this information. The locksmith that keeps the data of your car key can also help. But you need to tell them your vehicle information first.
There is a security light on the dashboard of your car if you have a transponder key. In some cars, the light appears as an image of a lock or the letters “sec.”
When you switch on the engine, the light will flash. And when it starts to work, the light goes off immediately.
There is an identification code with numbers and letters printed on your key. You can search for your key’s information with the key to tell if it’s a transponder.
Moreover, a transponder key has a chip in its head. This plastic head is bigger than that of a mechanical key.
How Much Is It To Replace A Transponder Key?
The average cost of a transponder key is from $125 to $300, depending on the car type. You can buy the key and then program it on your own.
However, the programming task can be complicated. Hence, consider having it done by a professional. Of course, you have to pay for this service.
You can ask a locksmith or a car dealership to program the key. Yet, locksmiths offer a service that costs about 20% less than the car dealership does.
We have shown you how to disable transponder key system without key. If you have a key fob, this task will be easier. Besides, although you can access the electrical system to deactivate it, we recommend contacting a locksmith for help.
Some people bypass the transponder key system. However, this action will compromise the security mechanism of your car. Furthermore, it’s not legal in some regions.
The transponder key system is an excellent anti-theft technology. If you have any other problems with it, don’t be shy to get in touch with us. We are always ready to assist you.
Thank you for reading!